It’s natural to feel worried if your doctor thinks you have a heart problem. But thanks to modern imaging technology available right here in central Virginia, we can diagnose heart and vascular conditions quickly, safely and accurately.
A precise diagnosis is the first step on your path to potentially life-changing or lifesaving treatments.
Who Should Get a Cardiac Imaging Test?
If your doctor is concerned that you may have a heart or vascular problem, they may recommend you have a heart imaging test.
Today’s cardiac imaging tests make it possible for us to find heart and vascular problems early, when they’re typically easier to treat. For example, imaging technology allows us to evaluate problems such as:
- Angina (chest pain)
- Arrhythmias (irregular heartbeat)
- Cardiac tumors
- Carotid artery stenosis
- Congenital heart problems, such as atrial septal defect
- Coronary artery disease
- Heart failure
- Heart valve disease
- Vascular disorders, including peripheral artery disease
The type and number of tests you’ll need depends on several factors, including the frequency and severity of your symptoms.
Please note that these tests require an order from your doctor.
Cardiac Imaging Tests We Offer
We regularly update our cardiac imaging equipment so you benefit from the most advanced technology on the market. Our services include:
- Echocardiograms. Uses sound waves (ultrasound) to create pictures of the heart’s chambers, valves and blood flow. We offer both pediatric and adult echocardiograms.
- Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). This radiation-free procedure captures 3D videos of the heart in exceptional detail.
- Coronary CT angiograms. A noninvasive evaluation of the arteries that supply blood to your heart, to look for blockages (atherosclerosis).
- Nuclear studies. Uses a small, safe amount of radioactive material to measure blood flow to the heart (while at rest and during exercise). You should not have caffeine for 24 hours prior to this procedure.
- Stress echocardiograms (stress tests). A type of echocardiogram that takes pictures of the heart before and after exercise.
- Transesophageal echocardiography (TEE). This procedure combines ultrasound and endoscopy. A thin, hollow tube (endoscope) passed down your throat and esophagus takes pictures of your moving heart. You’ll receive a type of anesthesia called “conscious sedation” to keep you comfortable.
- Vascular studies. Uses ultrasound technology to look for clots or other blockages in your veins or arteries.
What Happens After Your Test
Your test results are key to determining which specialist you should see, and which treatments you’ll need. For most of the tests, you’ll receive your results within one week. A copy of your test results are also sent to your referring provider.
As a Centra patient, you have access to our full team of cardiovascular specialists. If your test results confirm you have a heart or vascular condition, you may need care from one or more doctors who specialize in:
- General cardiology
- Congenital and pediatric cardiology
- Heart failure
- Heart surgery
- Interventional cardiology
- Structural heart disease
- Vascular surgery
- Vein care
Our team approach ensures that, when necessary, there are several doctors available to weigh in on your treatment plan. Together we tailor medical, surgical or interventional therapies to your unique risk factors, medical needs and personal preferences.
For your convenience, we offer outpatient cardiac imaging procedures at six locations throughout central Virginia.
Why Choose Centra for Cardiac Imaging?
Our cardiac imaging centers are staffed by experienced doctors and technicians, and offer the most up-to-date technology. Learn what else sets us apart from other cardiac imaging programs:
- Our experience speaks volumes. Our cardiac imaging team performs nearly 3,200 procedures a month, making us one of the busiest programs of our size in the region. This breadth of experience and depth of expertise means we can identify even the most subtle or rare heart problems.
- Independent organizations confirm our expertise. We’ve earned individual accreditations from the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission for many of our cardiac imaging services. These include our echocardiograms as well as vascular and nuclear studies. Accreditation is important because it confirms we offer the safest and highest-quality imaging care possible.
- We offer advanced cardiac imaging closer to home. You don’t have to travel far to get some of the most innovative imaging tests available. We’re one of the few health systems in the region to offer procedures such as coronary CT angiograms and cardiac MRI.
If your doctor wants you to have a cardiac imaging test, ask for a referral to Centra Heart & Vascular Institute. We offer the latest technology and leading expertise.
When you refer a patient for cardiac imaging, we’ll send you their report within 48 hours of study completion.
Physicians, please use the provided form when ordering diagnostic testing.