Weight Loss & Bariatric Surgery
Losing weight and keeping it off is hard, but you don’t have to do it alone. Our weight management experts have helped many Virginians transform their habits and health.
Weight loss and management can rebuild your confidence, restore your energy and reverse certain medical problems. You may no longer need medication or other treatments to help you feel your best!
Learn About Bariatric SURGERY
Find out whether bariatric surgery is right for you. We explain who is eligible for weight loss surgery, the procedures we offer and how to prepare for surgery.
Explore NON-SURGICAL Medical Weight Loss
Get the facts about our medically supervised, non-surgical weight loss program. You’ll learn how our specialists team up to help you reach your goal weight.
Our Approach to Weight Loss
We understand that obesity is a complex condition that can’t always be solved by diet and exercise alone. For many people, factors like family history, genetics, medications, hormone problems or other underlying health conditions make weight loss difficult.
At Centra, you’ll have several weight management experts guiding you on your journey. Our team includes:
- Doctors and nurses who specialize in weight management
- Registered dietitians
- Social workers
- Surgeons with advanced training in bariatric surgery
We also offer an abundance of support services, including in-person and virtual support groups and a Healthy Steps exercise program in partnership with the YMCA.
We’ll help you figure out what’s causing your weight gain, choose the most suitable weight loss option and learn how to boost your success with behavioral or lifestyle changes.
Weight Loss Options to Suit Your Needs!
Our services include a non-surgical weight loss program for children and adults, and weight loss surgery (bariatric surgery) for people 18 and older.
Medical Weight Loss Services
If you’re not interested in (or eligible for) bariatric surgery, our medically-supervised, nonsurgical program provides professional guidance and support. Services include:
- Counseling and emotional support
- Dietary education
- Exercise planning
- Meal plans
- Metabolic testing
- Pediatric weight loss for children
- Prescription medications for weight loss
Bariatric surgery refers to a group of surgical procedures that help you manage your weight. They do so by reducing the size of your stomach or changing the path food takes through your digestive system. We offer four types of minimally invasive, robotic-assisted bariatric surgery:
- Gastric Bypass Surgery. This procedure makes your stomach smaller. Your surgeon creates a small pouch at the top of your stomach and attaches it to the middle part of your small intestine. Because this new stomach pouch is so small, you feel full after eating small amounts of food. And because food bypasses the top of the small intestine after leaving your stomach, your body absorbs fewer calories.
- Gastric Sleeve Surgery. Also known as sleeve gastrectomy, this procedure reduces your stomach to about 20% of its original size. You’re left with a small, banana-shaped pouch (also called a sleeve). Because this remaining sleeve can only hold a small amount of food (and your digestion slows down), you feel fuller longer.
- Single Anastomosis Duodenal-Ileal Bypass with Gastric Sleeve. Also known as SADI-S, this procedure consists of a sleeve gastrectomy and a bypass of some of the small intestines. This results in less calories being absorbed along with feeling full longer.
- Bariatric Revision Surgery. Some patients who previously had bariatric surgery may need another procedure (called revision surgery) to achieve additional weight loss. Others need corrective surgery to deal with a surgical complication. Our expert team can help you determine whether an additional surgery or endoscopic procedure is right for you.
At least 70% of our patients maintain their weight loss long-term. Bariatric surgery works best when it’s combined with customized diet and exercise plans, and individual or group support.
Take the First Step Toward a Healthier You
We make it easy to get started with our medical or surgical weight loss programs. Both programs offer free introductory videos to help you learn more about our services, and decide which approach is best for you.
Non-Surgical Medical Weight Loss Process
Find out how you can benefit from our non-surgical medical weight loss program. Simply create an account and log in to watch our free online seminar and learn more information.
Next, if you decide to schedule a consultation, you’ll have your first visit within three weeks. Please fill out your new patient paperwork ahead of time by downloading the adult patient packet here and the pediatric patient packet here. Following your initial consultation, you’ll meet with members of our team every two weeks. Over time, as you become more comfortable managing your weight loss plan, you’ll see our team every four weeks.
Bariatric Surgery Process
If you’d like to learn more about our bariatric surgery program, we offer a free online video. Create an account or log in now to watch.
After watching the video, you can choose to submit your contact information and request a consultation. This first visit helps us confirm if you’re eligible for bariatric surgery.
If you’re approved for surgery, you’ll need to complete our pre-surgical readiness program. This process, which includes visits with our surgeon, dietitian and social worker, can take anywhere from three to six months. We use this time to make sure you’re healthy enough for surgery and feel ready to commit to important lifestyle changes.
Weight Loss and Bariatric Surgery Location
For your convenience, all of our medical weight loss services and surgical consultations are located under one roof at Centra Lynchburg Medical Center.
Why Choose Centra for Medical or Surgical Weight Loss?
If you’ve tried other weight loss methods that haven’t worked, turn to central Virginia’s most experienced and supportive weight loss team. Patients frequently tell us they recommend our services to others because:
- We’re proven leaders in bariatric surgery. Our bariatric surgery program is accredited by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP). This distinction confirms we meet or exceed strict standards related to patient safety and the quality of our care.
- You can recover from the comfort and safety of home. Following their bariatric procedure, most of our patients only need to stay in the hospital one day before being discharged home. Not only does this mean you can sleep in your own bed sooner, but it also helps lower your risk of hospital-acquired infections and other complications.
- We offer the latest, minimally invasive surgical approaches. Whenever possible, we use minimally invasive (laparoscopic) techniques during bariatric surgery. This may help you recover more quickly, with less pain and a lower risk of surgical complications.
- We prioritize patient safety. We follow special procedures that help patients safely and effectively manage their pain after surgery. For example, for most patients we prescribe pain medicines that work well but don’t have a risk of addiction.
- We’re part of an integrated health system. If you need help managing weight-related issues — such as joint pain, Type 2 diabetes or obstructive sleep apnea — we can refer you to Centra specialists throughout central Virginia. We partner with cardiologists, endocrinologists, sleep medicine doctors, vascular surgeons and more. Together we’ll help you get pain and other symptoms under control as you work to lose weight.
Nathan , Bariatric Surgery Patient
Heather , Bariatric Surgery Patient
Danielle , Bariatric Surgery Patient
Understanding your risk factors can help prevent disease or find it in the earliest stages, giving you the best health outcomes. Learn how to reduce your risk by completing our WeightAware survey.